Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June Jambalaya

Things that Happened this Month...

The Runner's World Race Streak continued.
This morning was my 36th day straight of running. I think I got something like 140 miles in since the streak started. I still have 6 more days to complete the official 41 days. It actually hasn't been bad. My normal days off have become 1-2 mile runs. It been fun, minus the really hot, hot runs where it feels like the dragons from Game of Thrones are breathing fire on you and there's no breeze or shade and the humidity is the equivalent of dunking yourself in a deserted kiddie pool that's been sitting in 2000 degree direct sunlight. But other than that, it's been great.

The Charleston Church Massacre created a new Charleston Nine. :(
The night of my birthday, a group of church members met at the AME Mother Emanuel Church downtown for bible study. A young man joined them, was welcomed into their circle and sat with them for an hour before he shot and killed nine of them, including the senior pastor.  The shooter then ran and was on the run for the next probably 12-14 hours until he was found in NC. He was a white man filled with racism and hatred and on a mission to ignite a race war. But luckily his actions did anything but that. Charleston united, all people, all races, to show their love and support for the victims, their families, and the Charleston community. There was a unity walk across the Cooper River Branch the weekend following the shooting. The event was hoping to draw 3 thousand people, but instead something like 10-15 thousand showed up. The following week was filled with lots of questions, emotions, fundraisers for the church and victim's families, and lots of support. There was a funeral this past Sunday and president Obama gave the eulogy for Rev. Clementa Pinckney, the senior pastor, who was a personal friend of his. These past few weeks have been rough for the Charleston community but the way we responded shows how strong we are. It shows how much we do really love each other and that one man's hateful actions can't pull us apart. #CharlestonStrong.

Gay marriage was legalized nationwide.
Last Friday, the Supreme Court decided that gay couples have the Constitutional right to get married in all 50 states. That means states with bans have to issue same sex couples marriage licenses. And now we have #lovewins.

My 27th birthday came and went.
My bday was on a Wednesday, which is not the coolest. And I had to work...again not so cool. But honestly, it was such a good day. My coworkers are way better than your coworkers. I felt so loved and special. They gave me a kick-ass bday card that came with an inflatable princess wand, it's 22 inches, so that shit is legit. Then they treated me to lunch and one of my favorite spots on the island, Wasabi. AND THEN... there was ice cream cake. Say whaaaat?! Yep, a good day.
My family and I celebrated my entrance into my late-twenties (GROSS) and Father's Day with an amazing brunch at Rue de Jean. So freaking good. I also gave left my number on the receipt for our hot waiter. #rejected #pleasecallmeplease #atextwouldalsosuffice

I added part-time dog sitter to my resume.
The week of my bday, I dog sat for my friend, Shauna, while she was with her family vacationing in Pawley's Island. Her dog's name is Guinness, and he's a little fluffy poodle-y thing. He looks like this:
He had cancer last year, but based on his scrappy little personality, you'd never know. I'm also dog-sitting two more times in July for two other friends. Yay. #resumebuilder #multi-tasker


The awesome cake my mom got me for my bday. That's me running on it. (I'm black.) #cakewrecks

obligatory bday cake pose

again black running meredith

RDJ has a banging salmon salad

G-unit and me chillin' (my first and ONLY mirror selfie, i swear)

bday sushi lunch

my coworkers are the best

right before the cake slide onto the floor (jk, but it was close)


No comments:

Post a Comment