Friday, December 12, 2014

What NOT to Agree to Do the Night Before Your Half Marathon...

Tonight I'm going to a Christmas party with a bunch of girls from the gym. I always have a great time with them, and when we aren't working out or punching the snot out of each other in class, we are usually enjoying the finer things in life including (but not limited to) delicious food, dancing in crowded clubs, strong cocktails, watching Dating Naked (a highly-recommended, thought-provoking and award-winning show) unhealthy brunch items like syrupy pancakes and refreshing mimosas, lots of chocolate, bottles of wine... I'll stop there. But tonight, surrounded by lots of those things, I will unfortunately have to restrain myself, because TOMORROW I'm running (crawling) in the Kiawah Half.

Let me just say, it's a terrible idea to agree to go to a Christmas party the night before you plan on running 13.1 miles in 30 degree weather. AND it's definitely not such a great idea to go when the party is a cookie swap. Great. I'm just going to come home from the party with 60 yummy homemade cookies and NOT eat them in one sitting. Right. This will go over well.

Anyway, because I'm such a Grinch good sport and rarely always in the holiday spirit I said, "Of course, I'll go! What can I bring?"

So, I just finished making my grandmother's pecan sands. They are so good and stupid easy to make.

1 cup butter, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 cups AP flour, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup chopped pecans. Get all that stuff acquainted with each other in a big ass bowl. Make sure every one is getting along and mixing well. We don't want the cool, popular kids (the butter and sugar, obviously) ignoring the nuts (really?). Next, roll those puppies into little balls. Bake at 325 for about 25 minutes. Cook them any longer and they will burn. I mean, I'm guessing they will burn. It's not like I burned a whole batch or anything. :|  Once they are out of the oven, fill a different, clean big ass bowl (come on, we aren't animals here) with powdered sugar and roll the cookies in it. Take them out, let them cool, and roll them again. Say what!?!? Yes, roll them in powdered sugar again.

So simple. My grandmother wrote on the recipe card, "Good for Christmas." But let's be real, they are good anytime. Now they are just sitting on my counter, whispering sweet nothings across the kitchen. Rude.

Look at 'em being all sweet and sugary, all snuggled up together.

Get a room already, cookies. I can't look at you.

We are also doing a white elephant gift swap tonight where you bring a gift from home to swap with someone. I saw this part on the invitation and read it as "Clean out your closet and bring all the stuff you don't wear." I hope everyone likes scarves and granny sweaters.

I took the day off from work today to try to relax (a.k.a. clean house, walk dog, bake cookies, scrounge closet for gift, make appetizer) before the race. I am excited to see all the girls tonight at the party, but I wish I could enjoy myself with a drink or two and not have to dip out early for my old lady bedtime. I am also pretty anxious about tomorrow. I just want to have a good run. Luckily, my feet have been fine the past few weeks. After my longer 7-10 mile runs, the once-injured tendons feel tired but not really in pain. I haven't had that sharp, debilitating foot pain in a long time. Let's hope it stays that way. Based on my recent training runs, I won't get anywhere close to my last half's time in February, but like my friend at the gym said maybe I'll surprise myself. That would be nice.

Stay posted (mom and dad and maybe one other creepy reader) for a post-race post. :)






1 comment:

  1. Finding this today made my day! Hello I am the creepy reader today!!!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete